Sunday, January 29, 2006

When obsession leads to failure and failure eventually leads to demise.

These past two days, thankfully free from most of the regular stress and annoyances of school, I have come to the very enticing idea that I have become quite the jock. No, get rid of the idea of me in humongous football pads and being rather unintelligent. (Though I won't go as far as to say I'm brilliant). For instance though, Mayor's Cup for Indoor Track was held yesterday at the armory, and the girls were scheduled to compete around 9 o'clock ish. To help my co-coach with taking the times for the racewalker's splits, I got there with Nina about 8:15. I ran in only one event yesterday though, in which I didn't PR, but did about my constant: 4x200 m, in which I ran approx. 32 seconds. Not bad at all. However, practically everyone did PR, and it was wonderful! Stuyvesant came in 6th overall. There was that mishap with the 1500m being right before the 4x800, but I was so proud of Rachel Kim, who did run both, and PRed for both! Ah, I love freshmen. So the girls' section ended about what, 1:30? 2:00? Nina and I stayed there until 4:45. The excuse? We had to wait with J-ma for the LIRR and I had wanted to watch Wesley run the 1000m (I had also wanted to watch Mark run the mile, but his was much too late) and Nina wanted to watch Sean, Corby and James run the 600m. "He's your ex? See, that's why I beat him by .6 of a sec." Hah.
This morning though, since I did my normal -lets sleep in until 12:00- repetition, I woke up, threw the alarm clock on my bed, and sped pellmell down the stairs to watch the Federer x Baghdatis Australian Open Finals Match. After being extremely disappointed with the Henin-Hardinne match, who is my, or was, my favorite player, I had decided that I wasn't going to be disappointed with Federer and Baghdatis. There was no doubt in my mind that Federer wasn't about to lose, but Baghdatis had beat that stupid loser with a stupid fast FLAT serve who doesn't deserve his 2 seed ranking and who is my favorite male player (also known as Andy Roddick), and 4 seed Nalbaldian, and 7 seed Ljubick (I think), and Baghdatis had the backing of all the Astorian Greeks, so I knew that this would be a fulfilling match. And it was. About an hour and a half of screaming at Federer and bouncing on my newly acquired yoga ball, I flipped to watch the X-Games, when it became apparent that Federer was going to win (the score being 7-5, 5-7, 6-0, 3-0). After watching, enthralled for about an hour (I can't even contemplate how one can do that in the freezing cold), I switched back to ESPN2 and saw that the Boston Indoor Track meet was currently being conducted. After watching first the 400m dash, and being so freaking envious of those sprinters who do like 28 seconds for their first 200m, which is about 4 seconds faster than mine, I just sat there in front of the television in pure silence. For about another hour. Pausing to eat, I returned to the computer after my father had indeed kicked me off the television, and I complained with other tennis fans about the Henin-Hardinne x Mauresmo Final. Just moments ago, as well, I looked up Roddick and Sharapova gossip, and REFUSE to believe any of it. Maybe I'm in denial, but as much as I find Roddick nondeservant of his seed and his many tennis faults (ie fast serve only b'cause its flat, horrible backhand, etc), he was the player that got me into tennis, and with the exceptions of Nadal, Federer, and Keifer (that sore loser) the only other male player I've seen face to face, 10 feet away at USTA. Federer I saw after losing my pride with 30 other people, and climbing through bushes to catch a glimpse of him through a fence. However though, I have pictures of Nadal with his shirt, being how he was pracicing on an empty court and I was traipzing around USTA during qualies (b'cause it was free) and I was barely 2 feet away. What a wonderful summer. But I am rambling.
The entire point of this entry was to recap how extremely addicted I am to sports. It is also rather strange. Tennis is the one sport that I do not play well, yet it is the one I am most addicted to. Yes, I watch track. Yes, I watch beach volleyball, but I am not as enthralled with those sports as tennis. How strange. Also, I've noticed that the guys that I find myself listing their faults most often, are the ones I like the most. Take Andy Roddick. Take the guy I used to like. Yes. You'll find I'm quite right.
On Friday, we had our track bowling party! As a result, I must post up some pictures.
^ huili, me, nina, jamie, and steph


^ me and my awesome balancing skills


^ trackies = love

1 comment:

Peppermint said...

Er. What? 7 seed? What does that mean? Teach me your wonderful jock terms, tiff! (I was about to call you catfish, but then remembered that I'm not in on the inside joke and the name is between you and Cindy and other weird people. I, however, am perfectly normal.) :o I want to join the track team! And volleyball! But I don't have the skills for them and no one will practice with me. :( I hate jocks! Er, wait, did I say that? :D